The telecommunication industry is facing a rapid change driven by new evolving technologies. While data services are the backbone of modern society and new trends, like autonomous driving, global carrier service revenues are declining. Digitalization opens a vast field of new business opportunities, yet new competitors like Amazon and Google need to be challenged. A competitive advantage is early identification of future trends and upskilling the workforce.
Questions to be clarified:
1. Collection of macro-economic data
Worldwide collection of macro-economic data, providing information on the global job demand, trends and patents by using data crawlers.
2. Smart data
Processing of the data, to standardize and enhance the information using A.I. and machine learning algorithms within the HRForecast data lake. E.g. skills are extracted and jobs are standardized based on harmonized job-catalogues.
3. Data analytics
Selection of the relevant companies/industries and visualization of the data. Algorithms support in detecting insights and future trends relevant to the Telecommunications/IT industry.
4. Insights & recommendations
Based on the analysis, risks, as well as opportunities, were identified to highlight implications for the business, recruiting and talent development strategy.
Key insights & value-adds for the client
The client profited from connected macro-economic data by:
- translating trends into concrete skillset requirements
- detecting technology white-spots and new skill potentials
Telekom received acumen about competitor strategies, including:
- insights of the competitors’ market behavior
- understanding/ transparency on new competitors from the IT industry
The client was able to provide a data-driven platform to the business:
- quantifying market developments
- serving as an early-detection trend radar