What is a workforce?
It is the total number of employees that work in an organization.
What are the strategies involved in workforce planning?
Workforce planning strategies include:
- Clear job descriptions and redefining those that need to be updated
- Monetary and non-monetary compensations, salaries, awards
- Employee development for specific positions
- Recruitment/selection strategies to find and hire the right candidates
- Employee retention strategies
- Succession planning
- Knowledge transfer strategies and management
How can HR leaders promote a healthy workforce?
Below are a few strategies that HR leaders can adopt to ensure a healthy workforce:
1. Enhance flexibility around working hours and encourage employee participation, reducing other known risk factors and ensuring the physical work environment is safe
2. Build a psychosocial safety climate, implement anti-bullying policies, enhance organizational justice, promote team-based interventions, provide manager and leadership training, and manage change effectively
3. Provide resilience training and stress management which utilizes evidence-based techniques, coaching and mentoring, and worksite physical activity programs
4. Consider conducting wellbeing checks, although these are likely to be of most use in high-risk groups and should only be done when detailed post-screening procedures are in place; use Employee Assistance Programs that utilize experienced staff and evidence-based methods and peer support schemes