What is a skillset?
A skillset is the set of professional abilities needed for a specific job position.
Why are skillsets important?
Developing a skillset is essential for employees because:
- It helps them grow as professionals
- It strengthens employment and career opportunities
- It enhances employees’ ability to learn and think creatively
- It helps employees be prepared for taking up leadership roles
How can you understand which skillsets are suitable for which employees?
HR leaders can follow three steps to confirm which skillsets are suitable for which employees:
- Identify what tasks an employee enjoys performing most and is efficient at
- Determine the training method that complements the employee’s performance
- Monitor and evaluate the employee’s performance after training to see if the employee is developing the necessary skills.